We have now completed the build of the Hearse House at St. Helen’s Church in our Georgian area.
The stone slab roof is now on and has been weather-proofed using a tradtional method known as ‘torching’. This involves adding a coat of lime pointing to the underside of roof slates, tiles or slabs to create a barrier against the elements, while still allowing the buidling to ‘breathe’.
The interior floor has been flagged and the doors are now hung. With the scaffolding now down, the building is looking lovely for the start of the festive season.
Work will start on the interior in the New Year ready to finally house the 1828 hearse from our collections.