Cos and Paul have been busily working away to lime wash the interior of the Hearse House with a little help from our Buildings Team Assistant, Shannon
It was common for most vernacular buildings of the period to have lime washed interiors due to the antibacterial properties of lime wash. This would be especially true of a functional building such as the Hearse House, particularly with its association with the deceased.
Now the interior is complete, the building is ready for the collections to be moved in. These objects have been selected to help us to accurately tell the story of life for working people in the Georgian North and illuminate the character of the church sexton who would be charged with digging the graves and overseeing the handling of the dead. Once the objects have been installed, the building will be ready to welcome the 1820’s hearse which is currently in the Beamish workshop for conservation and restoration work.